Monday, May 28, 2007

Almost there!


The Badlands, South Dakota... not so bad... If you have an interest in Geology... If not, a good place to start...

Hello again all,

I just got back to the land of internet access. And it feels good... absence makes the heart grow fonder and right now I just want to cuddle up with the spinning globe of my internet browser and make sweet, strange-looking globe babies...

So hold on tight for some written diarrhea...

After leaving St. Louie I hit Chicago and Uncle Nigel's place then went due west through MN and SD... MN and Southeast SD are... flat...

The Badlands of western SD are beautiful as you can see from the above photo... They are a beautiful example of deposition and erosion that are actually occurring around us all the time, everywhere we go. We couldn't stop it if we tried... Ha! How cool is that? There are examples of this everywhere we look. The Badlands shows you that...

After the Badlands it was on to the Black Hills/Custer St. park where I saw bison, prairie dogs, elk, deer, wild turkey, and all sorts of great wildlife going through their daily routine of grazing, poo-ing, staring at people in their cars staring at them, hopping, skipping, singing, and molting... A variety of activities all seen from a short distance from my car (Thanks fungus foot - oh, I have a foot fungus that prevented me from doing much walking for fear of aggravating the infection/fungus).

Eventually, I got into Wyoming and saw the powerful, looming mountains of Grand Teton... Breath taking, speechless eye-wideners...

I spent a day in Yellowstone - which was full of tourists... and made my way to Montana to see Steve...

My respite in Montana was very necessary... I had been camping for 5 nights 2 of which were spent in my car.

After that I spent a day on the road to Eugene, OR... going through the Columbia River Gorge... very nice... I don't recommend Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas audiobook while driving 65+, however... actually not a good road trip book at all... kinda scary...

Eugene is great... Bike friendly and super fun places to go and hang around... The university isn't bad either... good football team I heard...

Spent 2 nights there with a friend(Thanks Susan!) and went on to my cousin Luke's place in Arcata, CA... I finally crossed into California to my own personal applause and... fog... lots of it...

Anyhow... I went around Arcata for a while(which was fun... definitely a place where ideas are born... not always carried out but born... and very bike friendly...) Luke took me surfing for the first time... I loved it but it was cold... I was in a 5mm wet suit so my body was ok but my hands and feet lost all feeling... A BLAST! THANKS LUKE!

I then went to Hayfork and began work... I'll be posting again soon so keep an eye out! Photos are on the way!

Best,

NICK

No comments: